Breakdown cover terms & conditions
Who the Insurance is provided by:
This insurance is underwritten by Allianz Insurance plc: Registered in England No. 84638. Registered Office: 57 Ladymead, Guildford, Surrey GU1 1DB United Kingdom.
Administered by Allianz Schemes, 6 Vale Avenue, Tunbridge Wells, TN1 1EH United Kingdom. Allianz Insurance plc is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA). Their authorisation can be confirmed by the FSA by calling 0845 606 1234 or at www.fsa.gov.uk. Their FSA registration number is 121849.
Please note that from April 30th 2007, Allianz Cornhill Insurance plc will undergo a name change to become Allianz Insurance plc. The existing company and FSA registration numbers will remain the same. This does not affect your legal rights.
What to do if your product is broken or accidentally damaged:
1. Firstly check the plug, the fuse and the manufacturer's instructions. Remember that if no fault is found you may be required to pay a call-out charge. If the fault still persists and your manufacturer's guarantee has ended report the fault straight away to the authorised repairer on the telephone number shown on the front of your Confirmation of Cover.
2. Providing you present your valid Confirmation of Cover to the repairer you will not normally be asked to pay for the repair. In some circumstances this may not be possible. In this case, settle the repair bill and obtain an invoice which must state:
- the date and cause of the breakdown
- the date of the repair
- the remedial work carried out
- the cost of labour
- parts replacement and cost
- the VAT amount
3. This should be sent to Allianz Schemes, Allianz House, 6 Vale Avenue, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN1 1EH quoting your Confirmation of Cover Number for prompt reimbursement.
What to do if frozen food is spoilt:
1. As soon as the loss is discovered, make a list of the spoiled food showing per item:
a) type of food;
b) approximate weight;
c) price you paid.
2. Advise Allianz Schemes of the loss immediately by ringing 0870 608 4309. You will be asked for:
a) your name and address;
b) certificate number;
c) date the loss happened;
d) total value and weight of food being claimed;
e) make and model number of your product.
3. You will be advised within 2 days (usually immediately) if any inspection is necessary.
4. Send your list to Allianz Schemes, quoting the details in '2' above.
Your product is covered for:
A. Breakdown - Repair costs if your product breaks down, up to the original price you paid for it. If the insurer declares the insured product impossible or uneconomical to repair, a replacement Argos voucher for up to the original purchase price will be issued. Once a replacement product or replacement vouchers have been issued your policy will end.
B. Accidental Damage - Repair costs if, during the first 12 months of the manufacturer's warranty period, your product is damaged as the result of an accident (other than cosmetic damage) up to the original price you paid for it. If the insurer declares the product impossible or uneconomical to repair, a replacement Argos voucher for up to the original purchase price will be issued. Once a replacement or replacement vouchers have been issued your policy will end.
C. Frozen Food loss – The purchase price you paid for frozen food contained within your freezer or fridge/freezer which is spoiled as a result of your product suffering a covered loss. This is limited to £300 for each claim and up to £600 in all for the term of the policy.
Your product is not covered for:
1. Breakdown or damage caused by:
a) use of the product by anyone other than you, your family or employees;
b) use of the product away from your domestic or business premises (other than in respect of cameras, camcorders, disc players, palm top computers and car audio systems);
c) use in a commercial environment, unless the product is a telephone or office equipment (fax, scanner, PDA, printer, monitor, MP3 player or CD writer);
d) not following the manufacturer's instructions;
e) you deliberately damaging or neglecting the product;
f) accessories, peripherals, tapes, disks, software or programming;
g) any form of electronic virus;
h) accidents after the expiry of the first 12 months of the manufacturer's guarantee;
i) incorrect or faulty installation;
j) radioactive contamination or the weather such as lightning, flood and high winds.
2. Repair costs for:
a) damage caused by foreign objects or substances;
b) work which relates to a manufacturer's recall of the product;
c) damage to disposable items such as styli, light bulbs, vacuum bags, batteries and computer tapes/discs;
d) cosmetic damage whether internal or external such as scratching, chipping, staining, rust or corrosion which does not prevent the product from working;
e) repairs, upgrades or alterations carried out by persons not authorised by us;
f) replacing software media including but not limited to CD-ROMs, computer tapes, lost or corrupted data;
g) routine service inspection, maintenance or cleaning;
h) any laptop that does not have the manufacturer's security seal in place;
3. Call out charges where a fault cannot be found with the product.
4. Any costs covered under the manufacturer's warranty.
5. Any loss suffered as a result of not being able to use the product or any loss other than the repair or replacement cost of the product.
6. Any loss or damage caused by the failure of any electrical or computer equipment, software, micro-controller, microchip, accessories or associated equipment, to correctly recognise and process any calendar date or time.
1. Unless we agree otherwise:
a) the language of the policy and all communications relating to it will be English; and
b) all aspects of the policy, including negotiation and performance, are subject to English law and the decisions of English courts.
2. You cannot transfer the insurance to someone else without our permission.
3. The purchase of this cover is limited to customers who are 18 years of age and over.
4. If the settlement is made because the product is considered uneconomical or not possible to repair, then:
a) Allianz Schemes may take the product from you; and
b) the cover will end and the Confirmation of Cover should be returned to Allianz Schemes.
5. You must take all reasonable precautions to prevent any loss or damage.
6. This Insurance will become void in the event of fraud or attempted fraud against us.
7. Due to technological advances in the computer industry, some types of repair or replacement may involve changes to the cosmetic appearance and size and we are not liable for any consequent reduction in market value.
Further relevant information
If you buy the 5 year cover your insurance will end after 5 years and we will not renew the policy.
Consumers have certain rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 including the right to claim for repair or replacement of an item for up to 6 years (5 years in Scotland) if when it was sold it was not fit for purpose. After 6 months from the date of purchase the consumer needs to prove that the item had a fault when it was sold.
To find the insurance price please refer to the pricing table. Your insurance price is determined by the type of item you have bought, its manufacturer's guarantee length and the price of the item as shown on your till receipt. If you decide not to purchase this insurance today you have up to 45 days in which to purchase, simply return to the store with your receipt and this leaflet. In order to take out cover the item must still be in working order and undamaged.
Please note that Product Insurances may be available from other providers and household insurance may be relevant for some items.
If you purchase the insurance and change your mind, you can cancel the insurance within 45 days by returning to store with your policy document and receipt and provided you have not made a claim you will be entitled to a full refund. The refund will be given in the funds you originally tendered. If you wish to cancel after 45 days you can do so and obtain a pro rata refund for the remaining period left of your policy. This pro rata refund can be obtained by contacting Allianz by telephone on 0870 608 7201, or in writing to Pro Rata Refund Requests, Customer Services Manager, Allianz Schemes, Allianz House, 6 Vale Avenue Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1EH.
You will be required to provide your insurance receipt and policy document to obtain your pro rata refund.
If your product is replaced under the insurance your policy ends and you will not be entitled to a pro rata refund.
Financial Protection Statement
You may be entitled to compensation from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), if they cannot meet their liabilities under this policy. The level of compensation provided by the FSCS is that the first £2,000 of a claim or policy is protected in full, above this threshold, 90% of the rest of the claim or value of unused premiums will be met. Further information is available from the FSCS on 0207 892 7300 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
The details you supply will be stored by Allianz Insurance and Argos Limited plc and Argos Limited, to administer your insurance cover. Your personal details may be transferred outside the EU. They will at all times be held securely and handled with the utmost care in accordance with all principles of the UK law. In the event of a claim we may exchange your details with other insurers through various databases to help us check information provided and also to prevent fraudulent claims.
Your details will not be kept for longer than necessary. You are entitled to a copy of all information we hold about you for which we may charge you £10. Please contact: The Data Protection Co-ordinator, Allianz Schemes, Allianz Insurance plc, 6 Vale Avenue, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1EH.
Argos Contact Details
If you would like to contact Argos you can do so at:-
Argos Customer Services, Home Retail Group Financial Services, Royal Avenue, Widnes, WA88 1AL
Our aim is to get it right, first time, every time. If we make a mistake we will try to put it right promptly.
We will always confirm to you the receipt of your complaint within five working days and do our best to resolve the problem within four weeks. If we cannot we will let you know when an answer may be expected.
If we have not sorted out the situation within eight weeks we will provide you with information about the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Please contact us at: Customer Satisfaction Manager, Allianz Schemes, Allianz House, 6 Vale Avenue, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1EH. United Kingdom
Telephone: 01892 703416 Fax: 01892 517994
Using our complaints procedure or referral to the Financial Ombudsman Service does not affect your legal rights.
Notice to Customers
You are advised that any telephone calls made to our Administration and Claims Handling Unit may be recorded. These recordings are used to monitor the accuracy of information provided by customers and our own staff. They may be used to allow additional training to be provided to our staff or to prove that our procedures comply with legal requirements. Our staff are aware that conversations are recorded.